Terry A. Ekl
- Hinsdale Central High School, Hinsdale, Illinois.
- Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois.
Degree: Political Science, 1970
- University of Illinois, Champaign-Urbana, Illinois.
Degree: Juris Doctor, 1973
College Awards and Honors
- All-Big Ten Academic Football Team 1968 -1969
- President Delta Upsilon Fraternity
Admitted to Practice
- State of Illinois 1973
- Supreme Court of Illinois, 1973
- Federal District Court, Northern District of Illinois, 1973
- Federal Trial Bar, Northern District of Illinois, 1983
- United States Supreme Court, 1987
- Federal District Court, Central District of Illinois, 2006
- Federal District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin, 2007
1973 – 1977
Assistant State’s Attorney’s Office, Cook County, Illinois.
Felony Trial Division
1978 – 1988
Partner, Connolly & Ekl, P.C.
Clarendon Hills, Illinois 60514
1988 – 2006
Partner, Connolly, Ekl & Williams, P.C.
Clarendon Hills, Illinois 60514
2006 – 2011
Partner, Ekl Williams PLLC
Lisle, Illinois 60532
2011 – present
Partner, Ekl, Williams & Provenzale, LLC
Lisle, Illinois 60532
Type of Practice
- General Trial Practice, Trial and Appellate Litigation in State and Federal Court. Tried in excess of 100 jury trials and 1000 bench trials both criminal and civil cases.
- In the fall of 2012, was lead counsel in representing Karolina Obrycka in a Federal civil rights suit against Chicago police officer Anthony Abbate and the City of Chicago. Karolina Obrycka, while working as a bartender, was savagely beaten by Abbate who was off-duty at the time. In what has been described as a landmark decision, the jury found that there was a long-standing and pervasive “code of silence” within the Chicago Police Department to cover-up police officer misconduct.
- Represented John Harris, the former Chief of Staff to impeached Illinois Governor Rod R. Blagojevich. Mr. Harris was indicted in connection with corruption efforts of Governor Blaojevich. Mr. Harris was sentenced to two years probation and ten days incarceration in connection with his role in Blagojevich’s attempt to sell the senate seat of Barack Obama.
- Represented Louis Bianchi, the elected State’s Attorney of McHenry County who was indicted by a special prosecutor in two separate cases. The first case went to trial in March of 2011 and the judge entered a directed finding of not guilty on all charges. The second case was tried in August of 2011 and Mr. Bianchi was found not guilty following a directed finding by the judge.
Represented the following professional athletes
- Derrick Rose
- Dennis Sevard
- Chris Chelios
- Starlin Castro
- Ed Olczyk
- Brad Staubitz
- Current representation of various plaintiffs against the Chicago Police Department alleging violations of the Federal Civil Rights Act
- Represented Peter Burchard, the former Village Manager of Naperville, who was sued in Federal Court by Councilman Richard Furstenau. The allegations were ultimately dismissed.
- Represents a group of plaintiffs who have sued the LaSalle County Sheriff in the Federal District Court for the Northern District of Illinois as a result of a policy of illegal strip searches.
- Represented former Edgar County State’s Attorney, Michael McFatridge, in a civil rights action in the Federal District Court, Central District of Illinois, 2006. This case involved an allegation of the wrongful conviction of two murder defendants.
- Represents eleven young girls victimized by Michael Cardamone, their former gymnastics coach in a civil action.
- Represents the family of one of the thirteen young people who died in the Lincoln Park porch collapse tragedy
- Currently represents the family of a young boy who, while unarmed, was shot sixteen times by four Chicago Police officers.
- Represented former Marshall High School boys basketball coach. Lamont Bryant, who received $500,000 from the Chicago Board of Education as a result of his wrongful termination as basketball coach.
- One of seven attorneys appointed as Special State’s Attorney to represent former DuPage County State’s Attorney and DuPage County Sheriff’s Police Officers in the DuPage Seven. A jury verdict was reached and the defendants were acquitted of all charges filed against them. People v. Knight, 18th Judicial Circuit Court Number 96 CF 2589.
- Special Assistant State’s Attorney in DuPage County to represent DuPage County in the Federal civil rights litigation filed in connection with the Jeanine Nicarico murder case.
- Represented the Chief of Police of Mt. Prospect and the Village of Mt. Prospect in connection with allegations of racial profiling. This representation included the defense of the underlying claims filed in Federal Court, an internal investigation into the alleged pattern of racial profiling of motorists by Mt. Prospect police officers, defense of a class action law suit and an investigation conducted by the Department of Justice into the allegations of racial profiling.
- In 2008 conducted an investigation at the request of the Village of Park Ridge into allegations of misconduct within the Park Ridge Police Department.
- In 2013-14 conducted an investigation of the Lake County Jail related to the deaths of two inmates.
- In 2013 conducted an investigation into allegations that the DuPage County Sheriff relating to allegations that promotions and discipline of deputies was related to political contributions.
- In 1983, hired as a Special Assistant State’s Attorney for Cook County to conduct an investigation into allegations of misconduct in the Cook County Medical Examiner’s Office.
- Representation of House Minority Leader Lee Daniels and the House Republicans in the 2000 Redistricting which included trial before a three judge panel and appeals filed before the Illinois Supreme Court.
Representation of municipalities and/or employees in Federal Civil Rights litigation including the following:
- Village of Mt. Prospect
- City of Chicago
- Town of Cicero
- City of St. Charles
- County of DuPage
- City of Naperville
- Chemical and toxic tort litigation matters. Lead attorney in the matter filed on behalf of the employees of the DuPage County Courthouse, entitled Bostick, et al. v. Hellmuth, Obata & Kassumbaum, Inc., et al., Circuit Court Number 92 L 1695.
- Representation of Western DuPage Recycling and Transfer Station application for siting in DuPage County, Illinois
- Navistar International, Inc.
- Google, Inc.
- OfficeMax, Incorporated
- Ecolabs, Inc.
- Tomy, Inc.
- Koch Industries
- Suntory Industries
- Inductee as a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers, 2006
- Member of the Upstate Illinois membership committee for the American College of Trial Attorneys from 2009-present.
- Committee member of the Illinois Supreme Court Illinois Pattern Jury Instruction (Criminal IPI) from, 2003 – present.
- DuPage County Bar Association:
- President of DuPage County Bar Association, 1996 – 1997
- Chairman Criminal Law Committee, 1992
- 2nd Vice President DuPage County Bar Association, 1995 – 1996
- Chairman of the Judiciary Committee, 1997 – 1999
- Member Judiciary Committee, 1994 – 1996
- Chicago Bar Association Defense of Indigent Prisoners Committee, 1982 – 1984
- Campaign Manager for Joseph Birkett, elected DuPage County State’s Attorney in, 1996
- Chairman, Campaign Committee for Robert Schillerstrom elected County Board Chairman of DuPage County in, 1998
- Finance Chairman for Justice Robert Thomas when he was elected to the 2nd District Appellate Court, 1992
- Committee to Elect Judge Robert Bryne for Circuit Court Judge, 1990
- Finance Chairman for Judge John Elsner for Circuit Court Judge, 1996
- President, DuPage Bar Foundation, 1997 – 1998
- Chairman, DuPage Family Fun Days to Benefit Special Olympic Athletes, 1996 – 1998
- Vice President of the West Suburban Foundation for Disabled Veterans, 2005 – present
- Volunteer baseball coach Wheaton Park District, 1995 – 2002
- Volunteer football coach at St. Michaels grade school, 2000 – 2003
- Volunteer football coach at Wheaton-Warrenville South High School, 2004 – present
United States Marine Corp. Reserve, 1969 – 1973.
Honorable Discharge in 1973
A partial list of cases handled is available upon request